South Australia Introduces Level 4 COVID Restrictions
South Australian Premier Steven Marshall has announced new restrictions for South Australia.
The new Activities Directions are in effect from 12:01 am 20 July 2021. Mr Marshall said the “Level 4” restrictions would be reviewed on Friday.
Where similar restrictions have been introduced in other states, the impact on car wash businesses has become more apparent in the days following the announcement.
Car washing is not specifically referred to in the current activities restrictions, which can be found here https://www.covid-19.sa.gov.au/restrictions-and-responsibilities/activities-and-gatherings/current-activity-restrictions
There is significant confusion over the restrictions on “essential retail” that have been put in place. This morning, for example, media reports are attributing the following statements to SA Police Commissioner Grant Stevens
- “There is a difficulty in being definitive with this list that you’re going to properly capture everybody should be captured in terms of being able to trade and excluding those that should not,” told reporters.
- “There will be a business by business assessment in terms of what they can trade and what they can’t.”
ACWA respects that there will be some members who review the regulations and decide to close their sites. Others will elect to remain open and should ensure they have a Covid Safe plan in place for both staff and customers. If applicable they should also have the QR code visible at all payment points.
At this time, ACWA does not believe it is in the industry’s best interest to seek formal clarification from the SA Government. Our experience in dealing with other state governments, notably Victoria, suggests that formalising enquiries may remove options for car wash businesses intending to continue operations under somewhat confusing messaging.
Operators should note the information provided in this email should not be construed as permission to operate; however, ACWA points out the following:
- ACWA has been unable to locate any regulation that explicitly calls on car washing to close.
- It is noted that retailers involved in repairing motor vehicles, motorcycles or bicycle repair and related facilities (ACWA highlight) are permitted to operate.
- Petrol stations may remain open; therefore, car wash services at petrol stations, in particular, appear exempt from closure.
ACWA will continue to monitor the situation and keep you informed.