An ACWA Summary of Grants and Funding Opportunities for those Impacted by Lockdowns
ACWA has previously advised members of funding opportunities but these tend to go out of date quite quickly. The following information has been extracted from State and Federal Government portals as at 9 August 2020 and is summarised for member convenience.
As COVID continues to be a “moving feast” with different levels of severity and lengths of lockdown, the details will continue to change so it is worthwhile regularly revisiting your State’s web site from time to time to check the changes.
If you want all the details for your state(s) or federally, head to the links provided below:
- Federal Government www.servicesaustralia.gov.au
- Business Queensland https://www.business.qld.gov.au/
- SA Business Information https://business.sa.gov.au/COVID-19-business-information-and-support
- Service NSW https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/
- Business Victoria https://business.vic.gov.au/
Federal Government Support
The Federal Government contributes collaboratively to many state-based business programs, their contribution is contained in the State summaries that follow.
The Federal Government directs its payments directly to individuals with the two significant schemes:
- Those in a COVID-19 hotspot, lockdown or period of restricted movement may be eligible for the COVID-19 Disaster Payment.
- Those told to quarantine, isolate, or care for someone with COVID-19 may be eligible for the Pandemic Leave Disaster Payment.
The Federal Government’s COVID-19 Disaster Payment supports workers adversely affected by State base public health orders. This lump sum payment is designed to assist workers who cannot earn an income due to a state-based COVID-19 lockdown or restriction of movement.
Notably, the amount that can be accessed depends upon the location and individual circumstances. To check if you or any of your staff may be eligible, head to the services Australia website and check the details for your state https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/covid-19-disaster-payment.
State Support Available in NSW
In truth, the grants process in NSW is somewhat of a maze, and ACWA encourages anyone who can do so to speak to their Accountant. In summary, however, there are three funding opportunities for those impacted by the Greater Sydney lockdown that began on 26 June. Similar options are available for those operating in the VIC/NSW stay at home border bubble, which began 27 May.
Amongst other criteria, each of the NSW grants requires a demonstration of a 30% decline in turnover across a minimum fortnightly period compared to the same period in 2019. Any fortnight during the lockdown period may be used, and your Accountant may need to provide you with a letter verifying your drop in turnover.
The three schemes are as follows:
- JobSaver – The objective of Jobsaver is to help businesses save jobs to support the economy after restrictions are lifted. Full details can be found here https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/jobsaver-payment-guidelines#about-the-program.
- COVID-19 Business Grant – The objective of the COVID 19 Business Grant is to support businesses that experienced reduced demand or had to close. Funds from the grants can be used for specific purposes, e.g. salaries and wages and rent. Full details can be found here https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/transaction/2021-covid-19-business-grant.
- COVID-19 Micro-business Grant – The conditions of this grant probably exclude most car wash businesses. The grant is specifically for small businesses, sole traders or not-for-profit organisations with aggregated annual turnover between $30,000 and $75,000. Head here for details https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/transaction/2021-covid-19-micro-business-grant
Government Support in Victoria
ACWA has negotiated a grant scheme specifically for “small business” car wash operators.
The scheme is known as the Business Costs Assistance Program Round Two Targeted Stream: Car Wash Businesses provides access to grants of up to $5,000. Importantly, those invited to apply for the scheme automatically become eligible for additional top-up grants.
The scheme is run on an invitation-only basis. And, all ACWA members who met the small business criteria have been personally invited by Government to be part of the arrangement.
ACWA Members who have not applied and wish to do so should immediately contact Fiona firstname.lastname@example.org. Invitations to be part of the scheme close TOMORROW.
QLD Government Support Packages
Details of Queensland’s 2021 COVID-19 Business Support Grants Program are not yet finalised. ACWA strongly encourages members to make sure they are aware of details as soon as they are available by joining Queensland’s Small business connect newsletter. You can subscribe here https://www.business.qld.gov.au/starting-business/advice-support/support/small-business/connect.
Applications for the 2021 COVID-19 Business Support Grants open in mid-August. The grant is a one-off $5,000 support payment available to any small or medium-sized businesses impacted by stay-at-home restrictions.
Whilst lockdowns in Queensland have mostly been restricted to South East Queensland, the QLD government’s 2021 COVID-19 Business Support Grants Program applies state-wide.
QLD’s COVID-19 Business Support grant amongst other things requires:
- Annual turnover of more than $75,000
- Maximum payroll expenses of $10 million
- Ability to demonstrate a decline in turnover of at least 30 per cent due to the lockdown
South Australian Funding Opportunities
The SA government recently announced a COVID-19 Business Support Grant Program to assist small and medium-sized businesses impacted by the state’s lockdown, which began on 20 July 2021.
To be eligible for the one-off emergency cash grant, a business must, as of 12:01 am Tuesday 20 July 2021;
- Experienced at least a 30 per cent decline in turnover between 20 July and 26 July 2021 compared to the previous week. Businesses need to declare that this drop results from the lockdown, and will need to keep appropriate records.
- Located in SA
- Have a valid ABN
- Have an annual turnover of $75,000 or more and be registered for GST.
- Amount available:
- $3,000 available to businesses employing staff
- $1,000 available to businesses not employing staff
Applications are open and can be completed here https://www.revenuesaonline.sa.gov.au/?a=e&m=sbg3&d=Application. Applications for a Business Support Grant will close at 11:59 pm on 30 September 2021.