COVID Business Update
Despite a lot going on on the COVID front at this time, there have been no material changes to business conditions in any state since our last communication. However, as this message is being written, the ABC’s website discusses a potential “short” lockdown in Melbourne from midnight tonight.
Support Payments in NSW
Importantly, in NSW, there have been Government announcements over the past 48 hours of introducing COVID relief support payments for businesses and workers.
Payments for Impacted Workers
For workers who have lost income due to the NSW, COVID lockdown may be eligible for the COVID-19 Disaster Payment. Fundamentally these payments require applicants to meet several criteria, including:
- Being an Australian resident or hold an eligible working visa
- Being 17 years of age or older
- Not receiving an income support payment, ABSTUDY Living Allowance, Dad and Partner Pay or Parental Leave Pay
- Not already receiving a Pandemic Leave Disaster Payment, a state or territory pandemic payment or a state small business payment for the same period
Those seeking COVID-19 Disaster Payment information can find information here https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/covid-19-disaster-payment/who-can-get-it/nsw-eligibility-rules/greater-sydney
In the Prime Minister’s recent press announcement, he stated that from tomorrow (Thursday), residents of the Bayside, City of Sydney, Canada Bay, Inner West, Randwick, Waverley and Woollahra local government areas can go to myGov.au and make an application for the $600 and $375 support payments. You will need a MyGov account to claim. Accounts can be created here https://my.gov.au/LoginServices/main/login?execution=e4s1
ACWA remains unsure if these payments are available to workers on International Student Visas. Despite attempts to contact authorities, we have been unable to get through at such a hectic time. For those interested in pursuing information, there is an enquiry number established specifically for non-Australian residents. They should phone 180 22 66.
Business Support Payments
The NSW Government is offering financial support for businesses impacted by the recent COVID-19 restrictions and stay-at-home orders. If your car wash has been impacted , you may be eligible to apply from 19 July 2021.
The following grants may be of interest to NSW based members:
- COVID-19 Business Grants – Businesses and sole traders in the Greater Sydney COVID-19 restrictions area may be able for grants of up to $15,000 from 19 July 2021.
- Saving Jobs Support Program – A joint NSW and Commonwealth Governments initiative designed to maintain staff employment for small and medium businesses impacted by the current health restrictions.
Members should go to the Services NSW website to register their interest https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/covid-19-business-support-2021